The context in which any asset transfer operates is an important factor that will influence the asset transfer and partnership working. Contributing factors for success include:
- Asset transfer being seen by the relevant authority as part of the bigger corporate picture
- A joined up approach involving several departments and
- A transparent and well-understood asset transfer strategy, policy and process that is understood by all key departments (typically Estates, Legal, Economic Development, Planning and CLD).
- Strong leadership from the top of the relevant authority from the Chief Executive and disseminated down through all department heads and officers..
- A clear process and conduit for communication between the asset owner and the community group(s). The Third Sector infrastructure support has to be involved in this partnership as they are likely to be the source of on-going support to ensure sustainability and to maximise growth potential.